Sunday, 28 November 2010

Ancelotti won't be splashing January cash

Carlo Ancelotti has insisted he won’t be spending a penny in the January transfer market despite Chelsea’s injury problems.
With centre-back Alex needing a knee operation and John Terry and Frank Lampard still out the champions are running on empty in the title race.
But Ancelotti insists he DOESN’T need to spend in the transfer window and he DIDN’T cock-up by allowing experienced Ricardo Carvalho to move to Real Madrid in the summer.
Ancelotti said: “We don’t have long-term injuries, so we don’t need to have other players in January.
“Obviously we have to look at the situation of Alex and Terry and Lampard. But if all those players don’t show problems we don’t need other players in January. .”
Chelsea will face Newcastle, including battering-ram striker Andy Carroll, with a half-fit Alex at centre-half alongside Branislav Ivanovic – who was used mainly as a right-back until this season.
But Ancelotti is adamant it wasn’t a huge mistake to allow Carvalho to leave just before the season.
He said: “I think it was not a mistake because Carvalho wanted to go and we don’t want to keep players who are not happy to stay here.
“I think we have three fantastic centre-halves, it’s difficult because we lose two and Jeffrey Bruma is young. But he played a good game against Zilina in midweek.”
Ancelotti is adamant his makeshift defence can cope with Carroll this afternoon and produce a result to turn their season around.
And he insists a frank meeting with his players has turned the club’s season around – just like it did after they lost to Inter Milan in the Champions League last year.
Ancelotti added: “You have to move on like we did last year - like we did after Inter. After that the team talked and they grew stronger. I think we can do the same again.”

Carlos Tevez To Leave Manchester City For Barcelona

In an extraordinary interview with TyC Sports, Tevez admitted recently he had become ‘tired of football’ and only wanted to play in Europe for a few more years.
A move to Barcelona would see him join up with international team-mates Lionel Messi, Gabriel Milito and Javier Mascherano, with whom he was also at West Ham.
Manchester City, meanwhile, appear to desperate to sign a new striker in the new year and are being linked with almost every high-profile forward in Europe.
The Eastlands club are set to let Roque Santa Cruz, Craig Bellamy and Emmanuel Adebayor leave in the coming year.
Bojan could in theory help fill the cap left by the trio, and more importantly Tevez.
The 20-year-old scored twice for Barcelona against Almeria last weekend, ending his goal drought and immediately attracting the attention of a number of big clubs.
Tevez, meanwhile, appears to have completely lost his focus at City and now claims he no longer has the desire to play.
‘I don’t want to play anymore. I’m tired of football, but also tired of people who work in football. I don’t want to play anymore, and I’m talking seriously,’ ESPN quote him as saying.
‘Football is only about money, and I don’t like it. There are so many agents with really young footballers… it’s awful, as these young players are not interesting in winning titles, they only want money.
‘The young players think that they have won something in football because they have two cell phones and a house. Today, there are many bad people in the football business, and you have to fight with them all the time. I’m tired of that too.
‘Today, the young players have no education at all, and I don’t want to listen to them. When I played in Boca, when [Martin] Palermo or [Juan Roman] Riquelme talked, I listened to them. So I don’t want a young player to tell me ‘why did you do that?’ in the dressing-room. I would punch him, as I have won 13 titles in my career.
‘I’m going to play football for three or four years in Europe, then I will quit. I would play for Boca again only if my father asks me to do it, but I don’t want to play in Argentina again

Romanian Football Club President In Bizarre Attack On Coach

Timisoara president Marian Iancu – suspended last week for baiting Universitatea Craiova coach Victor Piturca as a “homosexual satantist” – says Otelul president Marius Stan is “arrogant and ugly – a man who forgot his medication.” Iancu told the media: “He tells me to keep quiet, but he’s the one that needs to shut it. He is bent. All the world’s washing powder and Danube’s waters aren’t enough to clean this man’s character.”
Stan: “Iancu barks all day long on TV. Maybe he didn’t have a TV when he was little, which is why he is so fascinated by it. He doesn’t bother me. Let him bark.”

Chelsea Deny ‘Ancelotti Out, Guardiola In’ Rumours

Chelsea have distanced themselves from stories in a number of Sunday newspapers that they are set to replace their manager Carlo Ancelotti with the head coach of Barcelona, Pep Guardiola.
Rumours of a move for Guardiola next summer have escalated in the British media following Ancelotti’s admission last weekend that he is “not in complete control” at Stamford Bridge.
However, a Chelsea spokesman said before the game against Newcastle at St James’ Park today that the rumours surrounding Guardiola were “total nonsense”.
Guardiola is out of contract next summer, and has not yet signed a new deal at the Camp Nou despite winning the Champions League in his first season in charge and successive La Liga titles.

Tottenham Plotting Swoop For Former Arsenal

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is reportedly lo0king at the possibility of signing Birmingham City’s Alexander Hleb next summer.
The Belarus international is on a season-long loan at St Andrews from FC Barcelona and he is certain to move away permanently from the Camp Nou at the end of the current campaign. Hleb’s form has been fitful since his return to England though heis recent performances have been more reminiscent of the player who shone at Arsenal in his final season at the Emirates Stadium.
Tottenham are in the market for a winger but are reluctant to pay too much with Aaron Lennon remaining first choice on the right hand side with Gareth Bales destroying full backs on the left. Competition for places is needed though and with David Bentley not in Redknapp’s thoughts there is a dearth of quality back up at White Hart Lane.
Ashley Young has been linked heavily with a move to north London though his exorbitant prices tag of over £20m has cooled their interest. Hleb would be available for less than half that and at 29 years old he still has a few years left at the top level.

Tottenham 2-1 Liverpool: Premier League Highlights (Video)

White Hart Lane witnessed a thrilling game between Spurs and Liverpool in the Premier League on Sunday afternoon.
Liverpool took the lead through Martin Skrtel in the first half, poking home from close range, and had chances to double their lead when first Maxi Rodriguez then Fernando Torres squandered excellent openings.
Tottenham kicked off the second half with renewed vigour and should have equalised after they were awarded a penalty following a David Ngog handball. But Jermain Defoe fluffed his lines from 12 yards and Liverpool remained in the box seat. However, Spurs did not have to wait much longer to be on level terms when a surging run and cross from Luka Modric forced Skrtel to put the ball into his own net.
Both teams had chances to win it late on but it was Aaron Lennon who sealed the points for Spurs two minutes into injury time after getting the better of Paul Konchesky.

Manchester United Ready To Pip Chelsea to Bayern Munich Star

Manchester United are weighing up a £12million raid for German powerhouse Bastian Schweinsteiger.
The Bayern Munich midfielder is continuing to stall on signing a new contract, with just 18 months left on his current deal, and Sir Alex Ferguson is ready to steal a march on Manchester City and Chelsea by making a move in the New Year.
Bayern are beginning to accept that Schweinsteiger is ready to move on after coming through the ranks at the club.
And although they have already told United that they do not want to lose one of their best players during the season, that will not stop Ferguson from stepping up his interest.
The United boss knows that he will be unable to match either City or Chelsea financially if he waits until the summer.
Ferguson is normally reluctant to do his transfer business in January, but wants to strike first in the race for the 26-year-old.